Friday, September 02, 2005

School's out...Forever...


There we are: The graduating class of Medill DC, Summer 2005...

I'm sitting in the newsroom right now, and it's like a ghost-town. It's totally empty - and more than a little melancholy.

Two days ago I completed what will very likely be the final formal academic sequence of my life. At 4:30 on Wednesday I turned in my Crimes of War Project article (no word yet on when it will run - I'll keep an eye out). After that it was off to Ebbitt's where we had a magnum of champagne and said some tearful goodbyes.

I suspect I will have more to say after I've had some time to digest the past year, but right now I'll simply say that it has been a pleasure and an honor to attend Medill, and to work with these remarkable people. I've learned more than I ever imagined I would.

A lot of people left yesterday. A few (including Ed "the Hulk" and Smashtar) are sticking around Washington indefinitely. Ed got a job with Dow Jones doing SEC coverage. Smashtar is...I think freelancing a bit - she might have an internship lined up.

I, on the other hand, am going on this absolutely ridiculous trip to South Asia. Now that school is out of the way the magnitude of this thing is beginning to set in.

Some good news is that it looks like I have some freelance work lined up with my former news service while I'm there - more details on that as they develop.

Also, please take the time to check out the finest hip-hop artist I've ever heard: www.illmitch.com

I applied for my Indian Visa this morning. I leave in nine days...