Tuesday, August 16, 2005

First Post

Alright, gang, here we go...

First, some background: My name is Hugh. I grew up in Dallas, studied English and Philosophy at Lake Forest College (a small liberal arts college north of Chicago), and am just about to finish my graduate degree (journalism) from Northwestern.

But the point of this thing is that I'm getting ready to spend the next several months in South Asia. I'm starting in Delhi, India, and god knows where it'll go from there.

The plan is to try my hand at some freelance reporting while enjoying the autonomy of solo travel. A part of me is looking forward to the relatively stable (or at least stationary) life that will await me when I get back, but until then it's wherever the wind blows me.

My goal for this blog is for my friends and family to keep abreast of my antics. It should also serve as a handy forum for me to vent, muse and ponder the various events that I'm sure await me on this strange adventure.

I'll write more as the departure approaches. This is going to be fun, eh?